Nexxia Shop >Car Audio >Car Audio Technical >Ipod Interfaces BMW >
Ipod Interfaces BMW
This page specifically relates to CTABMIPOD007.
These connects 2 ipod interface adaptors are compatible with all third generation ipods. Cradles are also available for the ipod, ipod Nano, and shortly the ipod video.
These interfaces allow the ipod to be connected to the head unit of your vehicle if fitted with one of the head units listed against the ipod adaptor. It will charge the ipod as well, and allow control of the ipod through the existing radio controls such as track selection and display information on most units from the ipod. All units come with clear installation instructions which may differ from those generic instructions written below.
These interfaces are not compatible with PC7-POD-L or PC7-POD-20 cradles, please use the ipodcradle product and nanocradle products.
The kit should include:-
ipod connector lead
ipod control module
Head unit CD changer to module lead.
1) Remove the head unit.
2) Remove 17-way head unit connector from the radio.
3) Install the 10 pin connector supplied with the new harness into the radio plug housing. When connected to the radio, when looking at the back of the radio, this should plug into the Left Hand Bottom Auxillary socket with the small arrow facing upwards.
4) Connect the new Radio Harness to the Radio only with the new 10 pin adaptor installed, any existing 10 pin plugs on the car's wiring loom become obsolete.
5) If 10 disc changer installed then disconnect the lead from the CD Changer as well.
6) Connect the new Harness Black 14 way plug to the silver ipod interface module.
7) Now connect the new Harness to the Car wiring loom, this must be the last connection made.
8) Decide where you want to route the ipod lead such that ipod can be connected in the car, connect this to the silver box.
9) Carefully re-install the head unit back into the vehicle.
10) You should now be able to test the system, using selection on the head unit to pick up the audio input.
When testing the system, switch the head unit on and select Ipod by selecting the Mode button twice.
To change play list use either disc preset buttons or disc up/down buttons either on the radio.
To change track simply use track forward / back buttons on radio. The Radio will display Track 1, not the ipod text on this interface.
The ipod will charge when the head unit is switched on and will power down when head unit or ignition is switched.
If fitting Cradle
Follow steps 1 to 10, but at steps 8, you would connect the ipod cradle instead and route cable suitably to the mounting point of the ipod cradle. You may require a Smart clip or for this, or mounting extension plate.
If you can not hear audio through your car system when the ipod is connected, check these following points.
1) on some car audio systems it is important to connect the silver interface box to the radio, before the radio is plugged back into the main wiring loom and therefore receiving power. This will ensure the head unit recognises the device is attached.
2) on some ipod adaptors, a seperate black wire is supplied, this must be connected to earth before the main wiring loom is plugged in. If you haven't done this, disconnect everything, connect black wire to earth, the silver box to head unit then reconnect to main wiring loom.
3) If after all this you are still scratching your head wondering why it doesn't work, it may be the ipod is not giving audio through the main docking connector. Try resetting the ipod, information on this can be found at this page below.
If you are still have problems, let us know to ensure the head unit is compatible, or to arrange an exchange unit.